Welcome to the IJA
Saturday, April 4, 2015
Posted by: Marilyn Sullivan
Dear IJA Member:
Thank you for choosing to belong to the International Jugglers’ Association. If you enjoy juggling half as much as we do, you have found the right organization.
Founded in June of 1947, the International Jugglers’ Association is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization uniquely dedicated to juggling and object manipulation. Acting as a service organization dedicated “to render assistance to fellow jugglers,” the IJA currently has approximately 1,300 members in 32 different countries.
No longer considered just a performing art for circus and vaudeville shows, juggling has also become an active, engaging hobby for many people around the world. The IJA membership includes many professional, sport, and amateur jugglers, who enjoy sharing their interest with others.
We salute our founding fathers who created the IJA to answer the need for an “organization for jugglers that would provide meetings at regular intervals in an atmosphere of mutual friendship” -- Harry Lind, F.R. Dunham, Bernard Joyce, George Barvinchak, Roger Montandon, Eddie Johnson, Art Jennings and Jack Green.
The basic philosophy of the IJA can be condensed into three cornerstone words: INSPIRATION, COMMUNICATION and COOPERATION. We seek to provide information and facilitate communication between members of the juggling world and the general public.
To implement this philosophy, the IJA provides the following services:
- We encourage those who exhibit curiosity about any aspect of juggling to learn more about this enjoyable art form and sport. The officers and all-volunteer staff of the IJA answer hundreds of inquiries each year.
- The IJA maintains a Web site at http://ym.juggle.org with information about our organization, a discussion forum, links to other information about juggling on the Internet, and a Web store.
- The IJA creates online publications geared specifically to the needs and interests of the juggling community. As a member, you will have access to the online IJA magazine, eJuggle, and you’ll receive the monthly IJA eNewsletter by email. See below for links to these resources.
- The IJA supports local affiliate juggling clubs who pay a one-time application fee and are entitled to benefits not available to other juggling clubs such as door prizes and mailings to advertise local juggling festivals.
- The IJA maintains an international directory of jugglers and IJA affiliate juggling clubs.
- Since 1948, the IJA has held an annual festival, currently a six-day event held in July. This year's IJA Festival will take place in El Paso, Texas, in the, from July 26-31, 2016. You can find more information online on the IJA website.
- Along with the astounding sight of hundreds of jugglers performing simultaneously, the IJA festival provides dozens of scheduled events: workshops, round-the-clock open juggling, international competitions, amazing stage shows and the annual business meeting of the IJA.
- The IJA maintains an archive of posters, photographs, books, magazines, newspaper articles, videos, props and costumes to record and preserve the history of juggling.
- The IJA annually sponsors World Juggling Day to help spread the fun of juggling and to unite jugglers on all continents in this delightful activity.
The members of the IJA constitute a blend of top professionals, avid hobbyists, and enthusiastic beginners. It is the intention of the IJA to provide membership to all for a reasonable annual fee.
At present, your membership benefits include:
- Discounts on juggling props with partner vendors
- Access to heavily discounted performer’s liability insurance. For additional information, click here: ym.juggle.org/?page=LiabilityInsurance
- Discounts on all juggling DVDs and magazines in the IJA store
- A monthly IJA eNewsletter via email
- eJuggle: the IJA’s electronic magazine, at ezine.juggle.org
- Access to members-only articles and IJA festival videos
- Exclusive videos from juggling greats like Anthony Gatto, Wes Peden and Jay Gilligan
- Exclusive juggling videos from IJA competitions around the world
- The privilege to register for our annual festival
- Voting rights in the annual Board of Directors election (members 13 and older)
- A membership card you can print yourself from our website
- Access to an online directory of IJA members
The IJA is always looking for energetic jugglers who want to help the organization through volunteering for various IJA functions and projects. If you want to help your fellow jugglers and contribute your talents to the organization, contact us via https://ym.juggle.org/general/?type=CONTACT.
Again, welcome to the IJA! We look forward to juggling with you soon!